In the early 1950’s, the average price of a home in Redondo Beach was $8,000. More and more people started claiming the quaint surfing community of 25,000 people as their home. The Board of Home Missions, Evangelical Lutheran Church purchased a piece of land for a future church. Pastor Lyle Gansei was sent to start that church. “The Lutheran Church of the Resurrection” was officially formed with 99 members on its charter in 1951.
Since its very beginning, children and families have been a high priority for the people of Resurrection. In September of 1952, the school was started with kindergarten and second grade. The school eventually expanded to grade 8 and adopted the name “Riviera Hall Lutheran School”. The preschool was opened in September of 1968.
In the 1980’s, the congregation made a decision to diversify its worship styles, making one a “contemporary” service. The congregation has continued with two different styles ever since. In 1987, the congregation’s denomination merged into its existing denomination, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Numerous ministries have been launched and supported through the work of the people of Resurrection. Lives have been touched and changed. God has been at work making a positive difference.
In its history, 5 lead pastors have served Resurrection with 11 more in assisting capacities. Many people have claimed Resurrection as their family and grown in what it means to be a follower of Jesus Christ. The South Bay has changed. Nonetheless, Resurrection continues to be an exciting place; a community of love, growing in what it means to be a follower of Jesus Christ.